Without a doubt, San Isidro’s most remarkable attraction is the El Olivar Forest, a natural jewel that stands out among other parks in the hemisphere, which constitutes not only a living memory of Lima’s history, but also a great lung for the city. El Olivar, which used to be a part of the lands belonging to the Count of San Isidro, is located 6 km away from Lima’s Main Square, on an expanse of 87 square kilometers of green spaces, it being the center and characteristic element of the district.
In 1560, Don Antonio de Rivera brought to Peru, from Seville, several olive trees, but only three made it here alive. These three surviving trees were planted in the Huatica region. The spread of olive trees was admirable and in 1730 it was confirmed that there were 2000 trees. A hundred years later, in 1828, their numbers exceeded 2828 trees. The El Olivar forest was declared a National Monument by Supreme Resolution 5773 on December 16th 1959.